Chipotle Mexican Grill opening Brookwood store

By on March 19, 2013
Chipotle Mexican Grill - Brookwood Place

Quick-serve burrito joint to replace Fig Jam.

Construction on a Chipotle Mexican Grill in Brookwood Place is expected to start soon.

The eatery, which specializes in burritos and tacos, submitted a building permit application to City of Atlanta Monday to move into the now shuttered Fig Jam space, at 1745 Peachtree Street.

Fig Jam has since announced plans to relocate to 1010 Midtown.

An estimated $416,103 will be spent on interior renovations to the 2,392-square-foot space.

Chipotle was not immediately available for comment.

View larger map

1. Matt Duncan

March 19, 2013 at 11:51 am

It’s sort of a toss-up for me. I really like Willy’s – it was born here in Atlanta, and I always like to root for the hometown when I can. Chipotle is really good as well – I like the fact that they use responsibly and humanely raised meats and local produce, whereas Willy’s does not. Willy’s does have the best tofu burrito I’ve ever had, though.

2. Sharyn

March 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Oh good, another Tex-Mex place. What with Uncle Julio’s and El Azteca across the street, I thought I might have to go more than 100 feet without it. And there’s a Chipolte on Howell Mill and Collier, not to mention Willy’s, Barbaritos and Moe’s within 2 miles. What that space needs is something like a West Egg – why is there NO WHERE to get breakfast, lunch, dinner around there? And no, R. Thomas is not an option. And what’s going in the old Swoozies space?

• Urbanist

March 20, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Because Atlanta blows?

3. Andy

March 21, 2013 at 11:54 am

This spot reminds me of the one on Pharr where Bissit’s and countless other restaurants have tried but failed. Chipotle, you think you can make it where Wolfgang Puck’s and others have tried and failed before you? You deserve what you get in this space. Your real estate broker should be fired for putting you here.

4. AJ

March 25, 2013 at 7:13 am

@Andy – While I agree with you to some extent, Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant was just not good. I think he through the “express” or whatever it was at the end of the name and figured “I call it “express” so I can have crappy food!

@Urbanist – If I thought the city I lived in “blows”, I’d move.

• AJ

March 25, 2013 at 7:13 am

“thought” not “through”

5. Harry

March 25, 2013 at 8:47 pm

That whole plaza is cursed: Swoozie’s, Taurus, Wolfgang Puck, Baroni, Fig Jam, Borders, that art Store (prior to Sam Flax) and Kroger. That’s just in the span of the last 3 years. Vaya con Dios, Chipotle.

6. ree

March 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

Having a Chipotle at that location kind of changes the ambiance I thought they were trying to create what with Spa Sydell and Tuk Tuk in that same plaza. I would think a local cafe/restaurant vs. a chain would fit better.

7. B

March 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

As a Brookwood resident…. woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jeff

March 26, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Nah, I’m pretty sure Chipotle will do good. Part of the reason that those other restaurants all failed is that they didn’t cater to the lunch crowds in that area. The building across the street (where I work) is a lot of medical practices and government employees. Plus, there’s a Kaiser facility in that plaza as well. It’s the sort of environment that needs quick(er) food options than Wolfgang Puck or Fig Jam which were both slow. Not to mention, Fig Jam and the other place before it were just poorly managed.

To be quite honest, I’m shocked that the Thai place (Tuk Tuk) has survived as long as it has.

9. Andy

March 27, 2013 at 10:25 am

I rented a condo for 2 years in the complex behind this center. It is like the bizarro retail center. The Kroger was the worst run store they probabaly had in the entire country. Wolfgang Puck’s food at this place was probably the worst of any restaurant in his food empire. It just doesn’t work. It is just a matter of months before there is a smasha and grab at the weave store here, which will be a cause of concern for other patrons.