Deckard’s American Tavern shutters on Ponce

By on November 6, 2012
Deckard's American Tavern Atlanta - Photo courtesy of mensguidetothehood.com

Restaurant abruptly closes its Midtown store.

UPDATE (Nov. 20, 2013): Tacos & Tequilas to replace Midtown’s Deckard’s Tavern.

Deckard’s American Tavern has closed up shop at its Midtown location.

The restaurant located at 650 Ponce De Leon Avenue in the Midtown Place shopping center, announced its closure on Facebook, its website and via a note on Deckard’s front door.

“Sorry to report that we are now closed,” Deckard’s said in a Facebook post Tuesday. “Thank you for your patronage over the last few years!”

Fans of the American tavern were shocked to hear the news of Deckard’s closing on Facebook, Tuesday.

“Wait , what? No warning, just BOOM? Drag,” fan Kris Ernst said in a comment.

Deckard’s, which opened its sole Midtown location in 2010, was the creation of Taco Mac’s corporate chef, Matthew Deckard.

Deckard’s was not immediately available for comment.

1. JayeL

November 6, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Disappointing loss for the area. Plenty of great beers and good bar food for game-days. I have to imagine if they could have hung around until next Summer, they would have seen some Beltline traffic.

2. sandwich

November 9, 2012 at 9:24 am

Not surprised, the service was garbage. Would love to see something unique go there, but just put the Taco Mac in already and be done with it.

3. Todd

November 11, 2012 at 1:07 am

Great space for a bring your dog to the bar…. http://Www.dogbarcharlotte.com

4. Tiffani

November 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Uber sad! The burgers were amazing!

5. Skipster

November 20, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Only went here once. It was on a Saturday and it was so painfully under-staffed that they were rendered paralyzed. It took eons to get ANYTHING..water, drinks, let alone food. It’s a great location and an excellent beer selection. If they had just properly staffed the place it might have worked, but it goes without saying that it’s a chicken/egg situation.
    A TacoMac will do fine, as long as they train the staff.

6. Foodie

November 28, 2012 at 10:17 am

Yep, the service was not enthusiastic – to say the least. I tried it on about three counts due to how close I lived. The waitresses there didnt have a clue.

7. Dee

December 14, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I worked there for about a month after finishing grad school. The management was awful and the employee turnover rate was horrendous. I went back a few months after I had quit and the I was told that the management had been fired, but it still looked like nothing had changed. The mangement kept referring to the location as “poncey-highlands” to my amazement and got upset whenever someone mentioned we were in a gay neighborhood. Even after putting in a fair notice of my decision to quit, my termination notice said that I was fired for no-call no-show. I am happy to see it go for many reasons. Its an odd location to have a restaurant though – that parking lot is very scary.