Czar, Atlanta’s only ‘Vodka Ice Bar,’ coming soon

By on November 15, 2011
Czar Ice Bar ~ What Now Atlanta

Photo courtesy of Czar's website

Ice bar to open in Buckhead.

Atlanta is getting its first-ever, “Vodka Ice Bar.” An ice bar is a drinking establishment primarily made of ice. That includes the seats, folks. Burr.

Called Czar, the ice bar at 56 E Andrews Drive, is opening late December, according to a Craigslist posting. It was supposed to open in September, according to the ice bar’s website.

John Kessler with the Atlanta Journal Constitution broke the news on Twitter, Monday night.

Parties interested in working at Czar can visit Craigslist for more information. “Experience is a plus but not required,” however, “attractive and in shape staff” with the “ability to speak Polish, Russian, Czech, Ukranian, German, Austrian, Croation, etc. and/or have the accent is a huge plus.”

Czar’s owner’s were not immediately available for comment.

View larger map

1. Urbanist

November 15, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Perfect for east Andrews. I like how it’s “Eastern European too”. I’m pretty sure I’ve bars are more Scandinavian than anything else. But, of course anything thy mimics some shitty gimmick and labels itself “euro”, is perfect for the EA crowd…

2. Timmy

November 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I hope it isn’t too cold to attend with my flip flops on. I like to wear them year round.

3. Darin

November 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Stories like this remind me of why I’m seldom tempted to go north of Brookwood. It’s like another world up there — one I have little understanding of. Oh well. I’m sure they won’t miss my business.

4. mark

November 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm

ew i hate east andrews, so i guess this might fit in well? haha good luck to them, i guess. The whole east andrew concept of bars is very different from the post-grad mecca that makes up the rest of that area. I would kind of like to see that whole east andrews complex changed but oh well

5. mark

November 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm

i feel like something like this would have fit in better around pharr or near buckhead bottle bar a little different feel

6. Greg

November 15, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Congratulations Atlanta!

You’re at least 5 years behind on this trend.

But why be a leader when you can be a follower?

7. AJ

November 16, 2011 at 8:22 am

@Greg – Does that make any business opening in a city after a similar business opens in another city a follower? Chamblee is getting it’s first Zaxby’s. Damn, Chamblee, couldn’t you just open a McDonalds instead? Alpharetta just got a Von Maur. Alphie, couldn’t you design your own department store? Inman Park, another wine bar? The Grape close a couple of years ago, and Barcelona Wine Bar already has locations in Connecticut, it’s probably best to leave that space empty instead.

8. Tammy

November 16, 2011 at 8:41 am

Chilled douchery, next.

9. Greg

November 16, 2011 at 8:58 am

@AJ, a lack of originality just seems to be the norm in ATL now (e.g., all the specialty burger places). Although, I’m not surprised business owners are going with tried-and-true in this economy.

10. Urbanist

November 16, 2011 at 10:08 am

@ Greg – Agreed.

@ AJ – Are you really trying to make the argument that Atlanta isn’t one of the most un-original cities in the country? There is such a limited amount of creativity in this city, from the architecture down to the businesses, that it’s depressing.

11. AJ

November 16, 2011 at 11:22 am

@Urbanist – No, I’m not. I’m not making a point about originality at all. I’m making a point that businesses should open, whether original or not. But while we’re discussing originality, pick some cities similar to Atlanta in size – not the top tier like NYC or Chicago, but cities like Dallas, Philadelphia, and Phoenix. How is anything that those cities are doing head and shoulders above Atlanta?

I know you’d love to see Atlanta be more “city” and less “suburb” but that’s just not going to happen. Ever. I love NYC. I’m from NY. I love Chicago. I love DC. I love SF. But those cities are just different from Atlanta. Always have been. Always will be. But there are plenty of worse cities than Atlanta.

12. kdw

November 18, 2011 at 2:33 am

So what about the Ice Bars that were opened after the first one in America which apparently is in Orlando.Everybody knows Orlando is the most creative places in America(sarcasm).

So does that make Chicago ,NYC or other places any less creative?
    You people kill me!!If Atlanta never got it then you same ones would be talking about how Atlanta lacks this or that.

Judging from the amount of music,artist,and movies that come out of Atlanta,i’d say the creative class is the envy of many other cities.

Besides anything that has not had the stamp of approval from NYC,Cali, will not get any traction being an original Atlanta establishment.

13. Greg

November 18, 2011 at 11:31 am

Speaking of originality, has anyone visited the restaurants in Asheville lately? I think Atlanta could learn a thing or two from some of them. For example, The Admiral. http://www.theadmiralnc.com

14. BCATL

November 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

@ Greg

Are you trying to assume that the Admiral is an original idea?

15. Greg

November 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm

@BCATL, not sure the answer to your question will be of interest to anyone else here, but after having been to The Admiral, yes, I personally think they have a relatively fresh and uncommon concept going; though there may very well be other disgusting dive bars that are known for having such outstanding, high-end food (not a trend I’m personally aware of, if there is one).

An ice bar, on the other hand, is something you can get in many cities around the world. Though admittedly, looks like there are only a few in the U.S.

16. BCATL

November 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm

@Greg
    That is the fallacy of your argument. Dive places are in every city. And having been to the Admiral myself, yes its good, but I have never been to any city that doesnt have a good dive place. Its not an original idea, the reason you are criticizing the ice bar. While I am not in support of an “ice bar” it is not because of lack of originality. Its because its nothing more than an over the top novelty that will be closed in 24 months. Your critique of it being nothing original would fall short on everything. There are no original ideas left. There are adaptations of existing ones, and there are deviated similar ideas. You may speak negatively about the restaurant scene here lacking originality but try going to other nearby southeastern cities and see how disappointed you are, particularly Charlotte and Birmingham. Good food is good food. But the ambiance and atmosphere is what you make of it.

17. Jimmy

January 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

the MO of EAndrews complex is always opening something new and if it catches fire let it burn, if not change it to the next concept, sounds like good business to me………….even though i will never go to any Ice bar….not my style
    criticizing the ice bar as non-original is cool to some people because they are too hip for anything…….gimmicks attract people, and this has worked elsewhere, so I wish them success….