- Smoothie King Midtown reopening after 3 yearsPosted 28 mins ago
- Atlantic Station lands 3 chef-driven restaurants, opening soonPosted 5 days ago
- Ruby Tuesday Inc. squeezes Lime Fresh out of GAPosted 8 days ago
- Lime Fresh Mexican Grill shutters in MidtownPosted 10 days ago
- Republic of Couture opening in Midtown May 10Posted 15 days ago
- Front Page News, Marlow’s Tavern and more fail April health inspectionsPosted 17 days ago
- Brash Coffee opening at White Provisions DistrictPosted 22 days ago
- LottaFrutta arriving at the Atlanta Airport June 1Posted 23 days ago
- Bevello opening at Shops Around Lenox April 20Posted 32 days ago
- Charter school takes retail space on the WestsidePosted 32 days ago
Coca-Colas Roxy Theatre Reopening as Buckhead Theatre
Coca-Cola’s Roxy Theatre in the Buckhead Village will be reopening as Buckhead Theatre by mid April.
After more than a year and a half of renovations and remodeling, original plans intended for an April 1 reopening. Chip Pottinger, construction and redevelopment manager for Buckhead Theatre, says that a combination of rain and permit delays from the city makes a mid April to an early May reopening more realistic.
The first event at the refurbished venue, which has yet to be specified, will take place the first week of May.
Upgrades to the interior make the space unrecognizable, according to Pottinger. With an average of 40 construction workers on a daily basis, the space now encompasses more than 30,000 square footage.
New plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling, gives the space a more polished, clean and comfortable feel. New light and sound systems have been added to improve stage performances. The marquis will remain on the face of the building but will become digital.
In addition, new bathrooms, dressing rooms and even a green room, will aid in enhancing the performers experience. The dressing rooms and bathrooms are an extension of the original structure.
“The main focus won’t be concerts,” Pottinger said in clarifying the use of the new space. Buckhead Theatre will house corporate luncheons, product announcements, bat mitzvahs, weddings, business luncheons, lecture series and concerts. “Buckhead Theatre will be more of a community type place. The concert part of it will only be about 25 percent.”
Originally opened as
Cinema Draft Buckhead Theatre [per comment below] in 1928 and renamed Coca-Cola’s Roxy Theatre in the 70s Capri Theatre [per comment below], Buckhead Theatre Roxy Theatre was the third name for the space. Coca-Cola’s involvement is uncertain at this time but is in consideration.